Vegan Big Breakfast Round Up
*~* Vegan Hot Wings *~*
if ur veggie / vegan or interested in animal welfare or someone who gives a shit this book is incredible. 19 chapters covering dairy, poultry, pig, fish, GM, environmental damage and cheap food to name a few, centered around factory farming across the world.
It talks about literally everything to do with current food production but some facts to name a few:
- 1/3 of the world’s cereal harvest is fed to farm animals which if eaten directly rather than fed to industrially reared livestock, the cereals alone could feed three billion people.
- Each year 11600m chickens are wasted, 59m cattle and 270m pigs.
-⅓ of food is wasted through being binned or left to rot.
It literally covers everything and addresses the fact that there needs to be a worldwide wake up call towards our treatment, use and feeding of animals and just the general eating habits of the world, as it is causing a hell of a lot more damage and money than what we get from it.
Below are a few of the things that people new to veganism may not know about, but should. In transitioning to veganism, you don’t want to have the embarrassment of bringing something non-vegan to a vegan party or finding out there are milk products where you’d never hope they’d go. Below is information about vegan condoms and contraceptives, alcohol, sneaky food additives, tattoos, and online shopping suggestions.
* Not all condoms are vegan. Why? Many condoms contain casein (milk) as a coating component, and some condom companies use animal testing. Take the time to have cruelty-free, safe sex with these brands of vegan condoms and contraceptives, as well as vegan methods of birth control:
- Glyde Condoms
- Sir Richard’s Condoms
- RSFU Condoms
- Unique Condoms
- Durex Avanti, Real Feel, Fetherlite Ultra and Deluxe Condoms (only non-latex Durex condoms are vegan. Do not buy their latex condoms unless you want milk all over your penis and in your vagina. Which I’m pretty sure is a good description of “what vegan nightmares are made of”)
- Contragel alternative spermicide
- Warning: There is a condom company called French Letter that claims to be “vegan” but their condoms are produced with casein. They don’t really know what vegan means and have no vegan certification.
- The Birth Control Pill “Femulen” produced by Pfizer contains no animal products, as well as their injection “Depo-Provera”. Other animal free contraceptives are Bayer’s injection “Noristerat” and the “Evra” patch.
The most effective vegan birth control method for those who do not wish to use condoms would probably be the Depo-shot. At least this way, you do not have to consume monthly pills with milk ingredients. There’s no reason to continue using non-vegan contraceptives if you have the option to switch, so think about it!
* Spray-on preservatives for fruits and vegetables may often contain shell fish and other non-vegan items. Try to buy organic as often as possible if this is an option for you. One of the biggest fruity offenders of this crime to watch out for is bananas. Buy organic bananas for your own sake, and for the sake of eliminating your support of non-organic foods and business which may employ pesticides or damaging agricultural practices. Organic farming fosters biodiversity, which is (arguably) good for our Earth.
* You’re all set for your sexy vegan night in with your special someone. You brought the vegan condoms, he brought the bananas. It’s a party for two. Now all you have to do is crack open the bottle of wine and… wait. Shit. Is this vegan?
- Brewmasters, winemakers, and distillers may include animal ingredients in their products directly, or they might use them in the processing and filtration.
- When making the product, dairy, honey, and other things (including, in one case, a whole chicken dropped in the tank) are ingredients in the final recipe.
- When filtering the drinks prior to bottling, companies can use things like isinglass (from fish bladder,) gelatin, egg whites, and sea shells, among other things.
- Trust Barnivore.com for all your boozy vegan needs.
* Even though I’m not someone who would get a tattoo any time soon, I feel sorry for vegans who do have tattoos and are constantly questioned and judged by non-vegans who don’t know much about the art of tattooing other than “Huh-duh, I heard tattoos aren’t vegan on the internet once. You’re a hypocrite!” Getting a vegan tattoo, free of cruelty, is becoming increasingly easier as supply rushes to catch up with demand. But you do have to do some research and ask your tattoo artists to supply you with vegan materials and inks if they don’t already come with it.
* As for some problems with vegan cheese containing casein (milk)…
- Just don’t buy from this company and you’ll be fine.
* Or vanilla/raspberry flavouring and extract supposedly containing beaver butt…
- Castoreum produced for food purposes does not exceed by far products such as vanillin for these flavourings. So while there’s a 1% chance that your vanilla extract has the anal glands of a beaver in it, there’s a 99% chance it doesn’t. If you can’t care to bet on those odds, call the company you buy from or visit their website. This is also primarily an issue for the United States. And Scandinavian alcohol.
* If you’re having trouble navigating for vegan products in the real world, perhaps it’s time to seek out online sources of 100% vegan products:
- Vegan Essentials
- The Vegan Store
- The Vegan Sex Shop
- Vegetarian Belts
- Search “Vegan” on Etsy
Some other things that might surprise you in having to veganize them, or some things you may not have realized have vegan versions:
- Vegan candles (not only do regular candles contain beeswax, but most beeswax based candles are not clean burning = not good for the air quality in your home)
- Worcestershire sauce (typically contains anchovies)
- Marshmallows (typically contain gelatin: animal bones and ligaments. You don’t have to miss out on smores with these!)
- Try not to buy anything specifically fortified with Omega-3 unless it comes from a vegan company or a product that specifically says vegan friendly on the packaging. It is frequently made with fish oil. This can be seen in Omega-3 orange juice, Omega-3 peanut butter, or similar products. Your safest bet for Omega-3s are from soy milk like So Good or Silk.
- If you’re especially new to veganism, you may not know yet that there is a vegan alternative for just about anything (Google it! E.g. “vegan mac and cheese”, “vegan cheesecake”, “vegan sausage rolls”, “vegan deviled eggs”) meaning that vegan food choices are no more limited than omnivorous ones, and they may even open you up to trying new things.
A few things…
Kimono condoms are also vegan. I would recommend these because they are Japanese made and ultra thin.
The Depo shot is only intended to be used for a maximum of two years. The copper IUD is as effective as sterilization, lasts 5-10 years and is hormone free. Please, please, please do your research before claiming this or that BC method is the “most effective”.
Barnivore.com has a pretty comprehensive list of vegan alcohol and an app as well. Although generally lighter beers like Corona are vegan whereas darker beers like Guinness are not.
There’s no real way of knowing if the produce you buy is vegan. Conventional apples are coated with wax so that’s problematic but almost all farmers use manure in the fertilization process. Organic also doesn’t mean chemical free, it means less chemicals. So it’s possible that you could purchase organic produce that’s been sprayed with pesticides containing animal ingredients or that have been tested on animals.
Some decent additions, but as you’ll notice I’ve already listed barnivore as a resource, and you should probably supply a link for your counterclaims on birth control methods.
Also, that general rule you said about light and dark beer is way fucking false. I drink plenty of dark beers and IPAs that are vegan and have had more problems finding nice light beers and ciders. Barnivore’s list of oatmeal stout is like 98% vegan, and the majority of their IPAs are vegan. Half of the products with “chocolate” in their name (including chocolate stout and porter) are vegan, and the other half aren’t but that’s mostly because they are creamy alcohols like milk chocolate porter or creme liqeuer,
There is no general rule that’s true about vegan beers. It’s all bloody myth created by people who’ve never used barnivore or who decided they didn’t want to do any research and would just be “vegan by rule of thumb”.
If you’re looking for great vegan beer, though, try Mill Street Organic.
I’ve been on the depo shot since I was 18. I’m 30.